7.5.09

On Dollhouse

I have to say, Dollhouse isn't what I expected, and that makes it amazing. It is a strong ensemble cast (strong than any previous cast, as in each previous Joss show, there as always been at least one character I did not care for, and I love and want more from all the characters, even poor Dominic). It is a strong sci-fi show. It is amazingly character built. Not a single episode goes by without it affecting at least one character.

While I do believe the show suffers from its need to have a "Buffy" or "Angel" (as I feel Firefly did), it doesn't suffer from the lack, but from the forcing of Echo to fill the slot. We know she is the lead. We don't need every episode to be focused on her. Let every character breath and grow.

The show from what I understand doesn't cost Fox very much at all. That is almost a sure bet!

The writing is intensely well done. Every line feels deliberate and wanted, nothing feels out of place, and every character has a voice. Every line is nuanced and interesting. Take last weeks episode. We all know Ballard is our male hero, but the entire episode was written and shot as if he was truely the villain! Even the fight! But I want to root for Ballard, but I also want to root for Boyd! That is good writing.

Overall, history shows us that when Joss Whedon gets a second season, his shows are immensely blown-up! They flower into television art. So allow Dollhouse to bloom!

This show could possibly die tomorrow night. It could be finished, and the one season on DVD is all we get. If you read this, please, watch. I'll even give you an order to watch it in if you don't want to watch it all in order:

Episode 2) The Target
Episode 6) The Man on the Street
Episode 7) Echoes
Episode 8) Needs
Episode 9) Spy in the House of Love
Episode 11) Briar Rose

That will get you caught up to watch the finale! Now don't get me wrong, every episode is great (though some are better than others, and some are very standalone, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing), but this is the fastest and simplest way to understand.

NOTE: Echos, Needs, Spy in the House of Love, and Briar Rose are all currently online on Hulu and Fox.com. Watch them there! Also, if you want to watch previous ones, I am sure you can find them online, but I do not condone piracy ... in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment